[:en]There have been a lot of stories in the news lately about thieves stealing packages directly from front porches. In addition to stolen packages, homeowners sometimes have to deal with front door vandalism and stolen mail. How do you protect this part of your home (and your online purchases) when you’re not at home? We have a few ideas:
- Have a doorbell camera installed. With a doorbell camera, you can monitor your front door remotely, see when the package is delivered, and even talk to the delivery person. You will also be able to see if someone suspicious lurks around your front door or tries to steal your package. A stern warning from the camera’s microphone might be enough to scare the heck out of a would-be thief. Plus, if your package is stolen or your home is vandalized, you will have video evidence for the police.
- Request a signature on important packages. If you are ordering something expensive online or someone is sending you an important package, sign up for a required signature. This way, your package won’t be left unattended on your front porch and will only be delivered when someone is home to sign for it and bring it safely inside.
- Have packages sent to a different address. If you know you’re going to be working late or going out of town, you might want to have your package delivered to an alternate address. Having your package delivered to your office’s front desk or a friend or neighbor who you know will be home when it’s delivered will give you peace of mind.
- Install a wireless security camera. As part of your home security system, you may want to add a wireless security camera to your front door area. This will allow you to keep track of any comings and goings at your home, remotely monitor your home’s safety, and record video of anything suspicious. In some cases, just noticing that you have an outdoor security camera will be enough to discourage a thief from stealing from you.
- Track your packages Finally, be sure to track your packages so you can see when they are being delivered. This will help you plan to be home to get the package, or have a friend or family member grab it for you.