In honor of Earth Day and Arbor Day this week we’ve put together some of the most interesting facts we could find about the Earth we live on.
We hope these facts inspire you to “go green” by living more sustainably and efficiently.
1. Earth orbits 93 million miles (150 million kilometers) away from the sun. It takes 8 minutes and 20 seconds for sunlight to reach the earth.
2. 70% of the planet is covered by bodies of water.
3. Only 3% of the Earth’s water is freshwater and 90% of that is frozen in glaciers!
4. If you were to stand on the equator you would be spinning around Earth’s center at 1000 miles per hour. At the poles, however, you would be standing still (and turning in a circle).
5. The hottest temperature ever recorded on Earth’s surface was 136 degrees F or 57.8 degrees C in El Azizia, Libya, in 1922.
6. The coldest temperature ever recorded was at Antarctica’s Vostok Station, which recorded a bone-chilling -128.6 degrees Fahrenheit (-89.2 degrees C).
7. The Earth’s age is estimated to be 4.5 billion years old!
8. There are almost 500 volcanoes on Earth. In fact, about 80% of the Earth, both above and below the surface, is made of volcanic soil.
9. Coral reefs are the largest living structures on Earth. They’re so large that some are even visible from space.
10. There is enough undissolved gold on the sea floor for each person on Earth to have 9 pounds!
At Fluent Home we are dedicated to providing our customers with technology that helps them live more affordably and efficiently. Through our energy management system, customers can control their HVAC system and help reduce their overall carbon footprint, while also lowering their energy bill. Learn more by giving us a call or following this link.